- Before cleaning the refrigerator, you need to make sure that all the items and shelves inside it have been taken out.
- You need to smell each food item and you need to throw away ones that have mold, as well as ones that have a weird odor, a slimy texture, or ones that have gone bad.
- The fridge shelves and bins must be cleaned with warm water and soap, they should also be towel-dried afterwards.
- You should line the bins and shelves with mats or with plastic wraps before placing them back in the fridge so you can make future cleanups a breeze.
If your refrigerator reeks every time you open it, then it might be time for you to give it a thorough cleaning.
Refrigerators serve a vital purpose not just in the kitchen, but in our daily lives. In most cases, the refrigerator gets a heavy dose of traffic on a daily basis, this is why it can easily get disorganized, and this is why the refrigerator will easily get dirty. The constant opening of the fridge door will also make it difficult to make things fresh, this is especially true for large families or for those who stock different food items in bulk.
Do the Purge
- The first thing you need to do is to empty the entire refrigerator. You need to take out all of the food items inside it, all the water containers, the ice trays, as well as all of the removable shelves.
- As soon as all of the food items have been taken out, you should then inspect each one of them. Smell each one and discard those that have a weird, funny, or pungent odor (unless that is what it is supposed to have). You should also throw away the ones that are slimy, ones that have mold, and those that have gone past the expiration date.
- Food stains in the refrigerator must be wiped off, and the interior must be carefully cleaned and disinfected.
- The refrigerator shelves and bins must be washed in the sink using soap and warm water.
- They should also be towel dried before putting them back into the refrigerator.
- The first thing you need to after cleaning the refrigerator and all the shelves and accessories, is to line the shelving and bins with mats or with some plastic wrap. This will help you do cleanups later on just in case there are spills or leaks.
- You should then organize the food items according to type. Keep drinks together, and separate meats from other food items that are can easily spoil. Make use of separate containers for different food items to avoid contamination.
- Use the bins provided by the refrigerator for specific food groups, and make sure that each different food group will have enough space for proper storage.
- Deli meats must be stored in the proper deli keepers so that they will stay fresh longer. This will also help keep the other food items from spoiling or from having a weird odor.
- The eggs must be placed on the top shelf on the refrigerator door so that they will stay cool. The temperature in this area is typically warmer than the rest of the refrigerator.
- ·You can also utilize the vertical carafe for milk cartons, as well as a Lazy Susan so you can have adequate storage space for drinks in the fridge door.
- You should also make use of soda tablets to help keep food items fresh longer, and to help keep nasty odors at bay.
The refrigerator has to be cleaned at least once a month. This will allow you to do the cleaning without having to deal with stuck on food or stubborn stains. This will also help keep you and your family safe as you will be able to keep track of food items before they expire. You can also do the cleaning before you stock up on groceries.
What’s the worst thing you had to deal with when cleaning the refrigerator? Tell us more about it at the comments section!