- When doing repairs and upgrades, keep in mind that you are doing a business transaction so you can avoid being sentimental.
- Get a price quote for all the necessary repairs and make sure that you know when the job will start and finish.
- Get rid of the clutter so the contractor can work efficiently and so that your house will look presentable.
- Make sure that you also prioritize curb appeal.
There are a lot of houses for sale today. If you want to make sure that your house gets sold as quickly as possible, you might want to make sure that your house looks appealing by doing the right repairs and updates.
House repairs and de-cluttering should be done as soon as possible. Areas in the house that you hoped to fix “someday” will now have to be dealt with right away especially if you want to make sure that the house will be ready for selling right away.
Taking on the repairs can be quite overwhelming. But with the help of these tips, you might be able to take on the different tasks efficiently and effectively.
1. Find a trustworthy contractor
Repairing the house or getting upgrades can be tough especially when you are a very sentimental person. This is why you need to keep your mind focused, knowing that you are about to do an important business transaction. If you want to make money, you need a general contractor or at the very least, a handyman who has a proven track record. Be very objective as you walk through the house together and make sure that the right repairs will be made.
2. Get a price quote
You need to know how much all of the repairs will cost. Make sure that the contractor will be able to give you an accurate timeframe that will help you know when they can start the work, and when the work will be finished. If all the repairs will cost too much, you can opt to do the important ones first, and the other repairs later if your time or budget will allow it.
3. Let the contractor work efficiently
Aside from being realistic about your budget, you should also make sure that you are realistic about your contractor’s time. If you will let the contractor do all of the work all at once, then there is a huge chance that you will be able to get a good deal. If you will assign small tasks across several weeks on the other hand, the contractor will not be able to work efficiently and the contractor might also have to charge you more.
4. De-clutter your house beforehand
Getting rid of the clutter is actually a very important task. This will allow you to make your house look more presentable, and it will also help the contractor do the repairs easily. If you cannot de-clutter your house on your own, you can always opt to hire a professional organizer to help you out.
When getting rid of the clutter, you need to keep in mind the following:
- If the contractor will be able to do the repairs with ease, it might mean that he will be able to finish doing the repairs ahead of schedule. Removing the clutter can also help the contractor avoid costly mistakes and accidents.
- Removing the clutter and making sure that the house looks more attractive and presentable can also help you get a higher selling price, and perhaps, a faster closing.
5. Making preparations for the repairs
You should be prepared to let the contractor work on the agreed schedule. Even if it will be an intrusion, you need to be patient, and you need to understand that as soon as all the repairs are finished, it will all be worth the wait.
Here’s what you need to remember:
- Make sure that your pets and your kids are out of the house, or at least away from the work zone.
- Make sure that you can easily access the shut-off valves, the breaker box, and even the attic if necessary.
- You need to make sure that all your firearms and valuables are properly stored even before you do the walk through with the contractor.
6. Focus on curb appeal
Giving your home a great curb appeal can help make potential buyers more interested in seeing your house. Here’s how you can do it:
- Replace your mailbox and house numbers to help pique interest
- If you want to make a significant change in appearance, you can pressure wash the house and the concrete
- Keep the driveway, walkways, and the front porch clean and unobstructed
- Get fresh pine straw or mulch
- Deal with overgrown trees or shrubs
7. Invest in Paint
Giving your house a fresh coat of paint can help make it look refreshing. Paint the walls, the ceilings and the trim. Opt for neutral colors that are soft and appealing. This will help make sure that the majority of the potential buyers will see the beauty of your house.
You should also consider updating the cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom. Ask your contractor to have them fixed and repainted so that they will look stunning and brand new.
8. Make the floor a priority
The floor is one of the most noticeable items in the house. Make sure that you repair any damaged areas, and you should also consider cleaning the carpets professionally before trying to sell the house. If you need to do a replacement, you might want to know that getting expensive ones is rarely necessary.
You can also ask the contractor to help you select the right floor replacement based on the other homes that are being sold in your area.
9. be ready to update
Your house needs to have the right look and appeal if you want it sold as fast as possible. This is why you might want to update different fixtures and appliances right away. Make sure that the windows, garage door opener, and even the smoke detectors all function properly. You should also make sure that there are no piping or roof leaks, and that the doors and cabinets can be easily opened or closed.
10. Don’t be afraid to do secondary repairs
Repairs and upgrades can help add value to your house. This is why you might want to do the following:
- Conditioning the crawl space
- Replacing the roof
- Finishing the basement
- Upgrading the kitchen
- Improving the bathroom
Taking on these tasks can help you get the best price for your house. But before you spend money for repairs, you might want to make sure that your final price will still be within the existing market even if you choose to get the upgrades and repairs.
Just remember to focus on curb appeal, and to make sure that your house no longer has any clutter so you can slowly make your way towards getting a lot of money from selling your house.